Assignment: Locate and Review a Recent Article on a Mathematical/Computational Model (5 points)
Scientists and engineers are comping up with new ways of modeling the real world all the time. Locate a recent
(no older than 5 years) scholarly peer-reviewed article that deals with the creation and testing of a mathematical
or computational model for some real world phenomenon (e.g., waiting in line at the grocery store). Write a
short summary of the article in which you answer the following questions:
CISC600 Scientific Computing I
Page 5 of 10
• What problem were the authors trying to solve? In other words, what was going wrong that the
mathematical/computational model will help the authors address?
• How was the model built? What were its parameters and limitations?
• How was the model tested and evaluated?
• What were the results and conclusions?
• What are the logical next steps in the research?
For this assignment, you will use a programming language of your choice to demonstrate how a lack of
precision in floating point numbers can lead to incorrect results. Do the following:
• Determine two sequences of floating point mathematical operations that should yield the same result
(e.g., 1.0 + 1.0 = 2.0 and 3.0 – 1.0 = 2.0).
• In a programming language of your choice, perform those operations and store the results in two
• Check the variables for equivalence. If the computer determines they are equal, repeat the process with
different (more complex) sequences of operations until you have two variables that should be equal in
value, but the computer determines that they are not due to truncation or round-off.
original work and assistance received from any source and any references used must be authorized and proper
Format your submission according to the APA style guide. Remember that all work should be your own
original work and assistance received from any source and any references used must be authorized and properly
Recommended length: 2-3 pages double-spaced not including front and back matter.